Engagement is more than a sign of social success—when consumers “Like,” retweet, pin, +1, share and comment on your content, they’re also generating FREE word-of-mouth for your brand and proprietary media channel. This post will help you learn how to increase engagement immediately with important tips like:
- Tried and true lessons from psychology that every brand should know
- Two simple messaging tricks that can spark 90% more engagement
- Strategies that can boost engagement and subscribers by 100%–180%
These 7 ways to jumpstart your social engagement show you how to tap into consumers interest, take social interactions to new heights and make your new followers feel like VIPs.
1. The Learners Offer. Make your offer appeal to the information-empowered consumers who prefer to gather before purchasing. Say things like:
- “Learn Why Our Software Beats (x).”
- “5 Things You Need to Know Before Starting a PR Campaign”
- “10 Things to Ask Your Contractor Before You Start Your Project”
- “7 Things To Know Before Investing In Business Startups”
- “What You Can Learn About Content Marketing”
- Fill out the form to download our__________________ (white paper, survey results, ebook, infographic,video, case study, checklist, podcast, webinar, etc.).
2. The Mutual Favor. Whether you know it or not psychology plays an important role in marketing — especially when you seek to inspire people to take action. One of the revealing principles of human behavior is reciprocity which means: If you help someone, they’ll want to help you. So I reward others on Q&A forums by answering their questions and they’ll usually reward me with their permission. See below how I get them to take action:
- (Their Name) if you found this information helpful, I’d consider it a mutual favor if you’d click here:http://indispensablemarketing.com and subscribe to my blog or newsletter. You get customer generating and profit increasing marketing advice, and I get to find you when I’ve got something neat to share.
3. Agree to Disagree. When you post a picture of something very opinionated always make sure tell people what to do if they agree or disagree with you. Any interaction with your content generates word-of-mouth. Look at the example below:
- Agree – Share
- Disagree – Comment
4. Make it Exclusive and Scarce. Create exclusivity and scarcity. People want what they can’t have. Stress your products limited availability and you’ll be sure to increase interest and sales. Say something like:
Fill out the form below to schedule an exclusive product demo. (Only 5 spots left!)
5. Create “The List”. Yes, you know the list I’m talking about. The one where you name
- “The 50 Top ______________ (in your industry) People on ________________(Twitter, Facebook, Pintrest, LinkedIn)”
This not only creates top-of-mind positioning for you and your organization but it also gives you access to these influencers audiences because they will share this post with them.
6. Make Others Feel Resourceful. We are now in a culture of sharing. We share recommendations, expertise, connections, and empathy. And in this culture people want to help. As Don Peppers said in a recent post “Now that the technology is available, unpaid volunteers are in fact creating billions of dollars’ worth of time savings, entertainment, instruction, new information, and knowledge, through a wider and wider variety of social-production enterprises.”
- You can take advantage of this by having social share buttons on your content that allow others to feel resourceful by sharing this with their audience. Say things like, “Share the Wealth”, or “Share the Knowledge.”
7. Spark Discussion. Simply put, the conversation starts with you. Ask questions and add your opinion/perspective to existing conversations. Always end your post with a question (see this post) and participate in the “What’s trending?” topics.
Question: What do you think? Have you used any of these already to jumpstart you social engagement? What’s been successful for your business?