When it comes to the best way (or ways) to generate sales leads, or find new customers, there is a lot of buzz surrounding publishing content. In fact, 85 percent of marketers stated lead generation as their organizations’ No. 1 goal of content, so learning how to effectively utilize publishing platforms will be an differentiating factor.
If you’re a small business marketer or business owner that publishes content, you may know a variety of ways to distribute and promote your content. Obviously, the more traffic you get, the easier it will be to generate leads. But you don’t need a ton of traffic to make it work.
This is the difference between how many and who. Old marketing was about how many. New marketing is about who. If five, ten, or twenty people are consuming your content, but they are the right five, ten or twenty people with large amounts of buying power, that’s what matters.
So don’t worry about becoming a top-ranked publisher. To successfully sell your services, you just need the right kind of people. The more specialized you are, and the more targeted your content, the more likely this will happen. Learn more about attracting your ideal customers here.
Of course, attracting people to your content is one thing. Generating leads is another. Here are five proven ways to generate qualified leads from LinkedIn Publishing:
- Provide Contact Information — If you’re in business and have a LinkedIn profile, you must provide your contact information. Recently, I read a informative article and when I viewed the profile of the business owner, the contact information was nonexistent. People value their time and convenience, more than ever today, so if you’re making it hard to contact, reach and most importantly refer you, you’re most certainly missing out on leads. This is equivalent to not having an email signature. Today, you can’t control attention or where a prospect will want to reach out to you, but you can provide the right information at the right time.
- Tell Your Audience to Follow You — This is an easy way to stay in touch with many prospects and systematically provide value before making a sale. Since you’re publishing content on LinkedIn their platform will allow readers to follow you gaining access to your public updates and post. Currently I have over 2,728 followers and a percentage of our new clients say they became pre-sold on our abilities by following our articles. In fact, a recent LinkedIn Sales Solutions survey stated 65% of buyers said the vendor’s content had a major impact on the purchasing decision.
- Link to Educational Content — While following your LinkedIn public updates and posts requires an ongoing commitment, a link to a eBook or special report is a one-time effort. Publish your article on LinkedIn, include a link to downloadable content, and the rest is history. This process should also be automated with an auto responder. Our eBooks on strategic marketing for small business owners generate request every month.
- Make a Direct Call to Action — Unless you’re just writing for the sake of writing, think about what your primary objective is for the content on LinkedIn publishing. Is it to generate more leads? Great! In that case, end your post with a call to action such as: “If you think this process might work for you, we’d love to hear from you! Please visit our site at yoursite.com and let us know how we can help!” or… “I specialize in working with companies just like yours. If you’d like to talk, feel free to reach out via email (your email) or phone (your phone).” It doesn’t have to be anything too complex.
- Advertising — If you write and promote a good post, you’re probably getting a fair amount of natural traffic. But LinkedIn advertising can give your content a boost. Advertising is an important driver of the lead generation mix and if done correctly, can do wonders for generating qualified leads. Learn more about advertising here.
Your LinkedIn Publishing efforts is a means to an end. If you use your posts to attract the right kind of traffic, and follow the advice above to generate sales leads, you should see a dramatic increase in your business.