My advice is – instead of being cheaper, just be better. What could you do to make a visit, meeting, or conference with you more than just an ordinary one? A visit to my massage therapist will include health, lifestyle and life coaching. She may ask me about my thinking, potential stresses in my life and how I’ve been treating my wife. I value her wisdom and input in a way that goes far beyond her traditional massage skills.
Seth Godin says cheaper is the last refuge of the person who’s not a very good marketer. Cheaper doesn’t spread the word or create loyalty. If people are coming because of price only, even free isn’t cheap enough. You’ll attract a crowd of people who are not committed to their good health, or yours.
Explore my list below and choose 4 or 5 that will work for you. Create a plan to include things like:
- Be a speaker for local civic group luncheons on a hot topic
- Be a drop-off point for Toys for Tots or a similar program
- Go out and meet three new people from your community every day
- Send every client a small gift on their birthday
- Provide health drinks at the local half-marathon or anything similar
- Use the principles of the Ritz-Carlton in your waiting room
- Use the indispensable marketing strategy of vice versa
- Write a regular blog that includes valuable health, business, career, or etc. information, humor and bonuses
My advice – Create a reputation for being remarkable – not cheap.