In an environment where the world is your competition, many businesses have implemented a variety of online marketing tactics to try to win and keep customers. Unfortunately, results vary significantly because tools are only as good as the person using them.
Though the results vary, there are three 3 things that I noticed from the individuals and businesses winning and keeping customers.
- They find where their customers talk and “go deep.”
- They create content that people want to talk about.
- They use the internet to listen to customers.
Basically they have taken the proper view to this online marketing marathon. Yes, it’s a marathon because it’s all about having a continuous effort towards achieving marketing goals while the competition is doing the same thing.
Here are 5 online marketing tactics that businesses can use to win and keep customers.
- Build a Stage. You must have a place where you can sell your ideas, services, products etc. It can be as simple as a podcast, newsletter, forum, blog or as complex as a self-hosted community. No matter what it is, it’s where you direct all internet traffic. Last but not least, do not build your business a platform you don’t own or control.
- Getting Mentioned in the Media. Getting mentioned in the media can boost awareness, credibility and directly generate new business. One of the tools I use is HARO. Check it out here: ( Help A Reporter Out). Another method that works is to visit industry blogs and make comments that add value, then follow-up with more detailed, useful information.
- Become the Knowledge Broker. Build authority by being be a resource for customers through useful content. Respect and trust are among the few things that money can’t buy.Your competition may be capable of “buying the market” through extensive advertising or discounting, but you can market information that will help customers make better buying decisions and enjoy full value for years after they buy.
- Pick the Right Platform. That’s the key for successfully building relationships with customers. The only way to find out is to explore building a social media presence. The right platform varies per business it might be a LinkedIn group, Facebook Fan page or a niche forum. Start exploring.
- Gain Permission. VERY IMPORTANT! The asset (the only asset, pretty much) that can be built online is permission. The privilege of marketing to people who want to be marketed to. Unless you succeed in obtaining a visitor’s permission to communicate with them, you may never get another chance. Once you have this permission you can establish a trust-based relationship that can reward you with years of profitable, repeat sales and word-of-mouth referrals.