Marketing used to be a department. It used to be delegated. Not anymore. On day one of trying to “Put Your Business on Track For Success and Have the Best Year Ever” we’re exploring the one thing that sets the foundation for this journey, your mindset.
That’s right success starts with you—not the company, not your employees, and not your customers. From now on your mindset will be marketing is everything you do or say that prospects and customers see and hear.
Question: “How are you building awareness with your prospects and clients through your marketing?” Every day you start working you should focus on this question.
Your marketing mindset is your marketing habit for the next 30 days. You will NEED to think about marketing all the time.
Vince Lombardi once said, “Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character.”
Your marketing can be compared to your breathing. If I asked you to take one deep breath could you live off of that? No. Just as it takes many breaths to live, marketing works the same way. Doing one marketing initiative won’t generate customers or generate business. You keep breathing to stay alive. You keep marketing to do the same.
Developing the Marketing Mindset
- Look around you. Which billboards, radio commercials, and mail catches your eye, sticks in your mind, and keeps your attention? Pay attention to features, headlines, benefits and call to actions.
- Experts. Seek the help from experts and learn from them.
- Research. Expand your mind by researching books (see the right side of my blog), websites, newsletters, tele-seminars, etc.
- Journalism. Keep records of your marketing journey—your activities successes, and failures.
- Teach. Write and help others as you learn. This I think is by the far the most helpful. I use my blog as a teaching tool and it’s a win for me and a win for my audience.
Zig Ziglar once said, “that the professional knows that their success will depend on what they do with what they know not just what they know.”
That means it action time. Choose one or two of the ways to develop a marketing mindset and put them into action. Remember we’re putting your business on track for success and preparing to have the best year ever.